Catching Up


Today we are going to Muse about my summer vacation.  If this is your first visit, welcome to Musings. If you have been here before, welcome back. Over time we are going to talk about many things: the past, the present, perhaps the future, travel, art, society and more. Wherever my musing takes me. I hope you will come along with me.

button linked to Tribbyart's Boutique     This is the way to Tribbyarts Boutique.  Click on the lion and you will go there.

Colored text is a link.  Clicking on the text will provide additional information about the subject.

Click to check out my artwork       

Catching Up

You may have noticed my silence the past two weeks.  Sorry, I was travelling . . .back from Mexico.  Getting packed up and then actually driving the 2200 miles.

So today I thought I would give an overview of “What we did on Our Summer Vacation“.

We drove from Florida with our dogs down to San Miguel de Allende in the mountains of central Mexico.  Took five days.  Mostly uneventful, just tiring.

The experience at the border was unbelievable.  We got into Laredo, Texas early.  Time being on our side, we decided to go over the border into Nuevo Laredo to get our tourist visas and car permit that afternoon instead of the next morning so that we could get on the road the next day without delay.

In the process of getting the tourist visa I left my passport at the clerk’s station.  I was in line for the car permit when a fellow said to me,

“You forgot your passport”.

“What!?  Where!?”  

I scurried over to the clerk’s window.  She didn’t have the passport.  I ran back to the fellow who had spoken to me,

“Where did you see my passport?”

He said,

“At the clerk’s window.”

 “She doesn’t have it!”

I ran back to the clerk and he came with me.  He spoke with the clerk who told him she gave my passport to some fellow to find me.  Nightmare!  The “fellow” was no where in sight.

My good Samaritan and I went out into the parking lot where there were about 100 vehicles.  And, surprise, we found the fellow with my passport.  Thank God.  My nerves were shot.

Back into the car permit line I went, full of adrenaline.  The permit process, tourist visa and car permit, took two hours.

Now we needed to go back into Laredo.  The dogs were at our hotel.  There seemed to be a backup of vehicles at the border.  We got in line and inched our way forward.  Three hours!  It took three hours to get through customs.  So between permits and border return we spent five hours, more time than it took to drive from Houston to Laredo!

I was frazzled.

I said to Jeanette,

“Lets go have a drink and eat”.

We went to the restaurant next to the hotel.  I had a couple or three margaritas and a nice dinner.  Paid the bill and left, forgetting my credit card.  Hmmm!

As we were about to get on the road early the next morning I realized I did not have the credit card.  And the restaurant would not open until noon.  Great.  I called the bank and cancelled the card.  Told them to send a new one to my p.o. box and I would get it when we returned to the US.

While we were in Mexico we stayed in a beautiful home with a wonderful enclosed back yard.  Teddy, our puppy, loved the backyard.  It had low walls for raised flower beds, small hedges, grassy areas, fountains, paved areas and sculptures.  He would race around full speed trying to catch butterflies, or the rain, or the thunder.  He especially liked water and would pester Bart, the gardener, when he was using the hose.  I am not certain Bart was pleased when he first learned about Teddy, but I think he was sorry to see him go.  They had become buds.

The third day I was there, I tripped on the dog’s mat and fell into a mantel.  I either broke or cracked a rib.  That slowed me down for sure.  I am recovered now, five weeks later, but for a time I could not cough or sneeze or turn in a certain way.

After it happened I looked in the mirror.  Everything looked normal.  Hurt like hell but looked normal.  Same the second day.  The third day a small bruise began to appear.  The fourth day the bruise, dark and black, extended from my back to the middle of my abdomen about 18 inched high.  It ended in a straight line at my waist band.  I guess the blood pooled there.  Anyway, I have never seen anything like that before.  All better now.

During our stay we explored the town and its surroundings.  There is much to see and do in San Miguel de Allende.  Condé Nast has rated it the number one tourist destination in the world two years in a row.  We did shopping, restaurant hopping,  candle factory visits, pyramid exploration, croquet (I taught a clinic),  and entertaining (several cocktail parties and a couple of dinners).

I was going to do a photo essay for this Musing but I left (or someone took) my camera the last week we were there.  Bummer!

I did write three blogs about Mexico before the camera went away.  If you missed them, here are the links:

So eventually the time had passed and we needed to drive home.  I worried about the border crossing.  It is about a ten-hour drive from San Miguel de Allende to Nuevo Laredo.  If we ran into another five-hour process after that drive I would be in a really bad mood.

When we got to the car permit return location there were two cars ahead of us.  We were there about six minutes.  When we got to the border there was one car ahead of us.

Where are you coming from?
San Miguel de Allende.
Where do you live?
West Palm Beach, Florida.
Do you have anything to declare?
Do you have any food, pork, any alcohol?
We have no food.

And we were passed through.  Took about five minutes.

The next night we stayed in Lake Charles, Louisiana.  Years before we had a really fun time there at one of the casinos.  This time not so good.  The restaurant was full so we had to eat in the bar.  They brought me the wrong dinner and took so long fixing my order that Jeanette had finished before mine came.  I left without eating.  The dealer at the roulette table was surly and about 3:30 AM the smoke alarm in the eleven foot high ceiling of our room started chirping low battery.  You may have heard one, a piercing, penetrating CHIRP  every twenty or thirty seconds.  Hmmm!  Lake Charles not so good.

The next night we stayed in Pensacola.  Had a terrific dinner at McGuire’s Irish Pub.  If you find yourself in Pensacola check out the restaurant.  Be forewarned.  They do not take reservations and they are always busy.  We went at 5:30 PM for dinner to beat the crowd and we still had to wait a short while.

After dinner, off to the hotel.  No hot water.  Pensacola not so good, but better than Lake Charles.

And the next day home.

And there you have it.

More to come

If you like Musings, take a moment and click the subscription button on the side-bar to the right so you will be notified by e-mail when I make a new post.


Books by Thomas L. Tribby Available
Click on title below to preview

Works on Paper

On The Waterfront

Impressions of Florida

 Tribbyart’s Boutique


Wood Cuts available

Glass with White Lilies
Glass with White Lilies
Homage to Diego
Homage to Diego

Click to see

Nude with Towel
Nude with Towel

Click to See

For information about these or other original works of art, please feel free to contact us: 


About Thomas L. Tribby

Professional artist: painter, sculptor, print maker. Maintains a studio in West Palm Beach, Florida
This entry was posted in art, croquet, Mexico, travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Catching Up

  1. says:

    Poor Jeanette and Tom, have all our condolences for your misfortunes! Hopefully your rib is getting better! See you end of November!

    Renate and Wolfgang

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s