Today we are going to Muse about Zen Teachings. If this is your first visit, welcome to Musings. If you have been here before, welcome back. Over time we are going to talk about many things: the past, the present, perhaps the future, travel, art, society and more. Wherever my musing takes me. I hope you will come along with me.
Colored text is a link. Clicking on the text will provide additional information about the subject.
Halloween has come and passed. Our street was host to many little goblins. Fortunately the rain stayed away, though it came down in torrents in the mid afternoon. It was the coldest night we have had since May, but not so cold as to inhibit the adventure. The little goblins had a good time.
But there was a lot of chance. The success of the evening really depended on the weather. It could have been a wash out.
This got me thinking about chance, and belief systems, about what we expect and what we take for granted. Coincidently, a friend sent me the following, which I found quite amusing. I’ll share it with you.
1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me for the path is narrow. In fact, just leave me the Hell alone.
2. Sex is like air. It’s not that important unless you aren’t getting any.
3. No one is listening until you fart.
4. Always remember you’re unique. Just like everyone else.
5. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
6. If you think nobody cares whether you’re alive or dead, try missing a couple of payments.
7. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.
8. If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you.
9. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
10. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably well worth it.
11. If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.
12. Some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree.
13. Don’t worry, it only seems kinky the first time.
14. Good judgement comes from bad experience … and most of that comes from bad judgement.
15. A closed mouth gathers no foot.
16. There are two excellent theories for arguing with women. Neither one works.
17. Generally speaking, you aren’t learning much when your lips are moving.
18. Experience is something you don’t get until just after you need it.
19. We are born naked, wet and hungry, and get slapped on our ass… then things just keep getting worse.
20. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
On a different subject
The opening of Monochrome, the current group exhibition at the Palm Beach Cultural Council, 601 Lake Avenue, Lake Worth, FL 33460 was well attended. The show is quite interesting. If you have not seen it you should do so. I am one of the artists in the exhibition. The exhibition will run through December 6, 2014 and is open normal business hours Monday through Friday.
more to come
If you like Musings, take a moment and click the subscription button on the side-bar to the right so you will be notified by e-mail when I make a new post.
Books by Thomas L. Tribby Available
Click on title below to preview
Wood Cuts available