Month of Happenings. Ho Ho Ho!


Today we are going to Muse about a month of happenings.  If this is your first visit, welcome to Musings. If you have been here before, welcome back. Over time we are going to talk about many things: the past, the present, perhaps the future, travel, art, society and more. Wherever my musing takes me. I hope you will come along with me.

button linked to Tribbyart's Boutique     This is the way to Tribbyarts Boutique.  Click on the lion and you will go there.

Colored text is a link.  Clicking on the text will provide additional information about the subject.

Click to check out my artwork

Month of Happenings.  Ho Ho Ho!

It is jolly December and the holidays are upon us.  The month started out very nicely.  I wrote last about the boat parade.  Great fun!  And, we put up a small tree and decorated the house a wee bit.  The holidays were on the way.

Then it took a turn.



As a bit of background, a month ago we purchased an upright freezer to replace the chest freezer in the garage.  With the chest type it seemed every time we wanted something, it was on the bottom and we had to unload the whole thing to find whatever it was we wanted.  Irritating.  So we replaced it.

Jeanette then spent days shopping specials in an attempt to fill it to capacity in record time.  Roasts, legs of lamb, chicken breasts, lasagna and more.  Chocked full!

One day as she was parking her car in the garage she heard it beeping.  Beep, three seconds, Beep, three seconds, Beep.  It wasn’t cooling.  Everything was thawing!  Ahh!  The door was not sealing properly.  Panic!  We were going to lose all that food!

I gerrymandered a number of bunji cords together and was able to tie the doors closed.  That made it a tad difficult to use.

And, you know the drill, we  (actually she) then spent hours on hold trying to get the service department of BrandsMart to come out.  They were terrible.  They did not return calls; they dropped calls; they had no one available until the following week; etc.

Eventually, the next week,  we did get a service person out and he was very good and working late.  I felt sorry for him.  He adjusted the door and the leveling devices and the problem was over.  Just a little stress gone.

Off to the party!

Off to the party!

Shortly thereafter, we went to a holiday party.  We had a very nice time and met some interesting people we had not known.  And, home we went.

Distressed auto

Distressed auto

As I got out of the car I noticed smoke coming from under the hood.  Hmm!  Not good. I,  however, could not see anything wrong under the hood.  That in itself was not reassuring since it is all I can do to figure out how to open the hood.  Of course, this was on a weekend.

I drove it the next day expecting it to blow up or burst into flame at any moment.  Fortunately we missed that experience.  I could not see any smoke but I could smell an acrid smell.  Monday I got it into the dealer and the next day some $600 poorer I was back in business.  Another little stress gone.



Wednesday I was working on the computer when I felt a little hunger.  I went to the frig and got one of those chicken based Italian sausages that Costco sells.  I ate it cold and, as I did, I thought to myself, “I wonder how long that has been in the refrigerator?  Seems like a long time”.

About an hour later my stomach began to hurt, not badly, just a little discomfort.  As the afternoon progressed it became more intrusive;  stomach pain and pain in the chest, back and neck.  I was thinking food poisonings.  Jeanette was thinking heart attack.

At time for dinner I said, “I think I’ll just go lie down”.  After a few minutes on the bed I thought, “Hell, I’ll miss dinner.  I’ll go eat and then lie down”  Which is what I did.  I don’t like to miss dinner.

enjoying dinner

enjoying dinner

By this time I was in bad shape and Jeanette was certain I was having a heart attack.  I didn’t think so, but what do I know?  We called 911 and the ambulance to take me to the ER.



That was about 8:30PM Wednesday.

Emergency Rooms are slow.  It wasn’t until about 12:00AM that I got any pain medicine. It wasn’t until about 3:30 AM that I was admitted to the hospital and given a room.  In the interim I had two chest x-rays, two abdominal x-rays, a C Scan and an ultrasound.  The latter was interesting because I could watch the procedure on the screen.

The upshot was I had a badly infected gall bladder that had to come out.  I was put on an antibiotic drip and told it was likely they would do surgery that day, now Thursday.  I was put on a liquid diet:  broth, juices, jello.  MMMMMMMMM!

Thursday passed away with no doctor seeing me.

Still on liquid diet.

Friday morning the nurse said, “The doctor will probably see you around 8 AM or 9 AM.  He usually makes his rounds then.”  When he did not show up she said 12:00 noon; when he did not come by that became 3PM and then 5 PM.  By this time I was becoming a really irritated.  I had now been there two days and had not spoken to the doctor.  I let my displeasure be known.  Finally around 9PM  he met with me.

After we exchanged our opinions about his lack of communication he told me I was scheduled first thing Saturday providing there were no emergency cases taking precedent.

Still on liquid diet.



He did the procedure arthroscopically:  four small incisions.   I was back in my room by 2PM Saturday feeling fine and home the next day.  All is well that ends well.  Just another stress gone.

So now the holidays are upon us.  I wish you a happy Hanukkah or Merry Christmas with you family, loved ones and/or friends.  And no more stress.

More to come

If you like Musings, take a moment and click the subscription button on the side-bar to the right so you will be notified by e-mail when I make a new post.


Books by Thomas L. Tribby Available
Click on title below to preview

Works on Paper

On The Waterfront

Impressions of Florida

 Tribbyart’s Boutique


Wood Cuts available

Glass with White Lilies
Glass with White Lilies
Homage to Diego
Homage to Diego

Click to see

Nude with Towel
Nude with Towel

Click to See

For information about these or other original works of art, please feel free to contact us: 


About Thomas L. Tribby

Professional artist: painter, sculptor, print maker. Maintains a studio in West Palm Beach, Florida
This entry was posted in art and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Month of Happenings. Ho Ho Ho!

  1. Mary Shields says:

    What an ordeal for both of you! I hope this is the last chapter for December! I also hope 2015 sees you both on the croquet courts making lots of wickets.

    Love and Peace,


  2. I was wondering if there would be a Musings today. Bruce said you had a nice view from your room. Glad all ended well. Brandsmart… comment.

  3. Nancy Lopez says:

    Tom: If disturbances come in three’s you’ve weathered your share for this month. Now, enjoy the rest of the month and start with a liquid diet that begins with, shaken, not stired.
    Love Nancy (and David too!)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s